Texas-Style Steak Sandwich Recipe
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
This Texas-style steak sandwich recipe from Silver Fern Farms is quick, easy and delicious! Featuring tender New Zealand grass-fed steak, crisp lettuce, juicy tomato and a soft brioche bun, this elevated sandwich is ready in just 25 minutes.
- 1/2 lb. New Zealand grass-fed flat-iron steaks (Tip: Look for the Taste Pure Nature logo)
- 3 tablespoons Texas Rub
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions, cut into thick rings
- 4 brioche burger buns, or regular hamburger buns
- 8 leaves lettuce, such as romaine or iceberg
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 3 tablespoons tomato relish
For the Texas Rub:
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
For the Sticky Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons smoky BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 bag frozen potato wedges, prepared per package instructions
- 1. Remove steak from fridge and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
For the Texas Rub:
- 2. Place spices in a large jar and shake to combine. Set aside.
For the Glaze:
- 3. In a small bowl, combine all sticky glaze ingredients and stir until smooth. Set aside.
For the Sandwich:
- 4. Sprinkle Texas rub over all sides of the steak. Set aside.
- 5. In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil.
- 6. Once oil is hot, cook onions for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown (try to keep onion rings in whole pieces). Remove onions from pan and set aside on a plate.
- 7. In the same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Cook steak for 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or to your liking.
- 8. Pour glaze over steak and mix until well coated. Remove from heat.
To Assemble & Serve:
- 9. Cut each steak into thick slices.
- 10. Spread buns with tomato relish, top with lettuce, steak slices, tomato and onions. Replace top of bun or serve it on the side.
- 11. Serve immediately with potato wedges.