Teriyaki Grass-fed Steak Skewers with Scallions Recipe
- Servings: 5
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
No grill needed for this easy recipe that comes together in 30 minutes! The sweet and tangy teriyaki sauce perfectly complements juicy grass-fed beef for umami flavor in each bite of these skewers. They make a great appetizer or can be paired with rice, salad or other veggies for a complete meal.
For the Skewers:
- 2 New Zealand grass-fed strip steaks, about 10-12 oz each (Tip: Look for the Taste Pure Nature logo)
- 2 Asian scallions (or leeks), cut into 1 1/2-inch-long pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 7-inch skewers
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Japanese chili powder or seven spice (Shichimi Togarashi)
For the Skewers:
- 1. In a small pot, combine the sauce ingredients. Stir to dissolve the sugar and cornstarch then bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until the sauce is fully thickened. Transfer the sauce to a shallow dish to chill.
- 2. Prepare the steak by cutting away some of the excess fat cap, then cut the steak into 1 1/2-inch cubes.
- 3. Skewer the steak with scallion in between, until you have 3 pieces of steak and 2 pieces of scallion per skewer. Sprinkle both sides of the skewers with salt and pepper.
- 4. Heat a griddle pan or heavy skillet over high heat and lightly oil the pan.
- 5. Once the pan is hot, place the skewers in the pan without overlapping, cooking in batches if needed. Cook, undisturbed, for 1 to 2 minutes, until the bottom turns golden brown.
- 6. Flip the skewers and cook the other side for another 1 to 2 minutes, or until turning golden brown. For medium-rare to medium, brown the remaining two sides of the skewers for 30 to 45 seconds on each side, or until the internal temperature reaches 130° to 140°.
- 7. Remove the skewers from the pan, brush with the sauce, and let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chili powder or seven spice, if desired.
Air Fryer Instructions:
- 8. Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Lightly spray the air fryer basket with oil and add the skewers (make sure there's at least one inch between each skewer). Cook for 3 minutes, or until the skewers are browned to your liking.
- 9. Remove from the fryer, brush with the sauce and garnish with chili powder or seven spice, if desired. Serve immediately.