New Zealand Grass-fed Steak and Egg Sandwich Recipe
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Everyone loves a classic steak and egg sammy, but this recipe takes it up a notch with the addition of caramelized onions and a creamy sun-dried tomato aioli. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner!
Tip: Swap out the bread for a bagel, English muffin or pita.
- 1 lb. New Zealand grass-fed sirloin steak, fat trimmed (Tip: look for the Taste Pure Nature Logo)
- 8 slices whole grain bread, lightly toasted
- 4 eggs
- 2 sliced tomatoes
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup aioli or mayonnaise
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon honey or sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1. Heat a dash of oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and add the onions. Cook for 2 minutes until soft, then turn the heat to low and add honey or sugar, vinegar and a pinch of salt. Cook gently for about 15-20 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- 2. While the onions are cooking, blitz aioli or mayonnaise with sun-dried tomatoes in a food processor. Set aside.
- 3. When the onions have 10 minutes of cooking remaining, season steaks with salt and pepper to taste, and add to a well-oiled pan on medium-high heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes each side for medium rare, or until cooked to your liking.
- 4. Remove steaks from the pan and place on a plate or cutting board. Cover and rest for 5 minutes.
- 5. While the steaks are resting, fry the eggs, sunny side up.
- 6. Spread sun-dried tomato aioli on toasted bread. Add arugula, tomato, steak, onions and an egg.