For the Steak:
- 12 oz New Zealand grass-fed strip steak (Tip: Look for the Taste Pure Nature logo)
- 1/2 Asian pear
- 1/2 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons kimchi juice
For the Noodles:
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 bundles somen noodles
- 1 Persian cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 Asian pear, sliced
- 2 tablespoons kimchi, or to taste
- 1. Add the pear, onion, garlic, soy sauce, kimchi juice, sugar, and salt to a blender and blend until smooth.
- 2. Place the steak in a deep plate or storage container. Pour half the puree mixture over the steak and marinate at room temperature for 1 hour, flipping the steak once during the hour.
- 3. Place a mesh strainer over a medium-sized bowl. Strain the other half of the puree mixture into the bowl, pressing the pulp to extract as much liquid as possible.
- 4. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the strained liquid with the beef broth and rice vinegar. Cover with plastic wrap, and place in the freezer until well chilled and slightly icy, about 30-45 minutes. If you do not plan to use the broth immediately, you can instead chill the broth in the fridge for a longer duration.
- 5. When you’re ready to cook, remove the steak from the marinade and pat it dry with paper towels.
- 6. Heat a heavy bottomed pan over high heat and add the oil. Once the oil just begins to smoke, add the steak to the pan. Sear on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- 7. Lower the heat to medium and cook for another 4-8 minutes, depending on desired doneness. Flip the steak every minute or so to ensure even cooking without burning. Once done, remove the steak from the pan and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 8. While the steak is resting, cook the noodles according to the instructions on the package. Once cooked, rinse the noodles under water to stop cooking, then drain.
- 9. Divide the noodles between two bowls.
- 10. Divide the chilled broth between the two bowls of noodles. Garnish each with cucumber, pear, and kimchi.
- 11. Slice the steak and place in each bowl of noodles.