Grass-Fed Beef Smash Burgers Recipe
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb. New Zealand grass-fed ground beef (Tip: look for the Taste Pure Nature Logo)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices American cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 burger-size iceberg or romaine lettuce leaves
- 4 slices vine-ripe tomato, cut 1/4-inch thick
- Yellow mustard
- Dill pickle chips
- 1. Place a large plate or a baking sheet on a work surface.
- 2. Divide beef into 8 equal portions, then loosely shape each portion into a ball. Flatten one ball between your palms — it should be 3 to 4 inches in diameter and about 1/4-inch thick — and set patty on plate or baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining beef.
- 3. Stack individual patties between squares of parchment paper or foil and chill until ready to cook.
- 4. Heat a heavy skillet over high heat for 5 minutes.
- 5. While the skillet heats up, season 4 patties liberally with salt and pepper. (Tip: The patties will be cooked in batches, so season only what you’re about to cook. Salting too early can draw out moisture, causing the burgers to stick to the pan.)
- 6. Once pan is hot, arrange 4 patties on the skillet, seasoned side down. Cook, undisturbed, for 2 minutes.
- 7. Season face up sides of patty with salt and pepper, then flip. Use a burger press, spatula, or your flipping implement to press firmly onto the patties, smashing into the skillet to flatten. Cook for 1 minute.
- 8. Top each patty with a slice of cheese and cover skillet with a lid and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a clean plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- 9. Cook the remaining 4 patties following the steps above.
- 10. While patties rest, remove skillet from heat source and immediately place buns, cut sides down, in skillet and toast until golden brown and crusty.
- 11. Stack 4 of the patties on top of each of the other 4 patties, then transfer each stack to a bottom bun.
- 12. Add one lettuce leaf, tomato slice and onion slice on each patty stack, then add mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup and/or pickle chips.
- 13. Serve immediately.