New Zealand Grass-fed Wagyu Beef Smash Burger Recipe
- Servings: 6
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
These quick and simple homemade smash burgers from A Cozy Kitchen feature 100% New Zealand grass-fed Wagyu beef topped with cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo and pickles.
Tip: A smash burger is a loosely packed, thin patty that is “smashed” on a hot griddle until its edges are crispy and delicious.
For the Burger Buns:
- 6 potato buns, halved
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
For the Burger Patties:
- 2 lbs. New Zealand grass-fed Wagyu ground beef (Tip: Look for the Taste Pure Nature logo)
- Neutral oil (Such as vegetable or avocado oil)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To Assemble & Serve:
- American cheese (or any other type of cheese you like)
- Mayonnaise, to taste
- 2 Roma or vine ripe tomatoes
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- 2 dill pickles, sliced
- Salt, to taste
For the burger buns:
- 1. Place a pan over medium-low heat.
- 2. Add the butter and when melted, add as many potato bun halves, interior side down, as you can. Cook until toasted and lightly golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- 3. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- 4. Repeat with the remaining potato buns until they’ve all been toasted. Add more butter to the pan, as needed.
For the burger patties:
- 5. Portion out the 2 lbs. of Wagyu ground beef into 4-ounce piles that are loosely packed (no need to form patties).
- 6. Season each patty with salt and pepper.
- 7. Place a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Preheat the pan until hot and add a teaspoon or two of oil.
- 8. Add two patties, spacing them about 4 inches apart, and smash them flat with a spatula to form patties that are 4-inches in diameter. Cook until the edges are brown, about 2 minutes. Flip the patties and cook for an additional minute or two.
- 9. Transfer to a baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat for all patties.
- 10. Once all patties are cooked, remove baking sheet from oven and top each patty with a slice of American cheese. Place back in the oven until cheese is melted, about 2 or 3 minutes.
To Assemble & Serve:
- 11. Spread both halves of the burger buns with mayonnaise. Add the patty, top with slices of pickles, tomatoes and lettuce. Enjoy!