Grilled Grass-fed Leg of Lamb Recipe
- Servings: 6-8
- Prep Time: 12 hours 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Plays Well With Butter created this stunning recipe for grilled New Zealand grass-fed lamb. A butterflied grass-fed leg of lamb is marinated with loads of lemon, garlic, and aromatic herbs and then grilled to perfection.
Note: Grill time will vary based on the thickness of the lamb. For medium-rare on a 2-inch-thick butterflied leg of lamb, we recommend grilling 6-7 minutes per side, until an instant read thermometer inserted in the lamb registers an internal temperature of 115-120⁰ F.
- 2 - 2 1/2 lb. New Zealand grass-fed boneless leg of lamb, butterflied to 2-inch thickness (Tip: Look for the Taste Pure Nature logo)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 8-10 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Pickled red onions
- Artichoke hearts
- Roasted tomatoes
- Pickled peppers
- Cucumbers, sliced
- Side salad
For the Lamb:
- 1. Trim excess fat from the surface of the lamb, as needed.
- 2. Place lamb in an airtight container and top with olive oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, rosemary, dried oregano, kosher salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes (if desired).
- 3. Using clean hands, rub the herbs and spices into the lamb. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours or up to 2 days.
- 4. About 30 minutes prior to grilling, pull lamb out of the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature. Preheat grill to medium-high heat or 450-500⁰ F.
- 5. Place lamb on the grill grates, directly over heat. Close the grill lid and grill 6-12 minutes per side, based on your desired doneness level.
- 6. Transfer grilled lamb to a plate and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 7. Thinly slice lamb against the grain and serve with fresh pita, hummus or tzatziki, and desired fixings, such as pickled onions and peppers, artichoke hearts, roasted tomatoes, cucumbers, and a leafy green salad.