Garlic and Herb Grass-fed Lamb Sandwich Recipe
- Servings: 6
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
This versatile garlic and herb stuffed New Zealand grass-fed boneless leg of lamb recipe from What’s Gaby Cooking makes a stellar sandwich. Tender sliced lamb, tangy tzatziki, arugula, pickled red onions and a sweet Brioche bun – it’s a sandwich like no other.
For the Lamb:
- 6 lb. New Zealand grass-fed boneless leg of lamb, butterflied (Tip: Look for the Taste Pure Nature logo)
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup assorted chopped herbs, such as parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, chives, mint
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Tzatziki:
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Persian cucumber, diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pickled red onions
- Brioche buns
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2. Lay lamb leg flag on counter. Using a sharp knife, make several slits, about 2 inches long by 1/4-inch deep, so seasonings can penetrate the meat.
- 3. Sprinkle lamb leg generously with salt and pepper. Spread garlic evenly on top, then cover with herbs.
- 4. Roll meat to enclose stuffing and tie with string at 1-inch intervals. Keep diameter of roll the same so roast cooks evenly. Generously season outside of lamb leg with salt and pepper.
- 5. In a large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Brown lamb on all sides.
- 6. Once browned, transfer lamb to roasting pan and roast in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare, or 1 hour for well done.
- 7. While the lamb is cooking, in a small bowl, combine all Tzatziki ingredients. Stir well.
- 8. Remove lamb from oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes.
To Assemble and Serve:
- 9. Remove strings and slice meat thinly across the roll.
- 10. Serve the sliced lamb on a bun with Tzatziki, arugula and pickled red onions.