Grass-fed Lamb & Vegetable Souvlaki Recipe
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 2 1/2 lb. boneless New Zealand grass-fed lamb leg or shoulder, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes (Tip: look for the Taste Pure Nature Logo)
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup strained lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano, preferably Greek
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into eighths
- 2 red onions, cut into eighths
- 4 firm tomatoes, cored and cut into quarters
- 16 whole fresh bay leaves, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
- 8 round pita breads
- 1. In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup olive oil with lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Add lamb, cover and refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours.
- 2. Heat a grill pan to medium-high.
- 3. Thread lamb, peppers, onions, tomatoes and bay leaves onto skewers and brush with marinade.
- 4. Place skewers on grill pan and cook for 8 to 10 minutes per side for a medium temperature. Remove skewers from grill pan.
To assemble and serve:
- 5. Lightly brush pita bread with olive oil and pan-fry lightly over medium-high heat.
- 6. Turn bread, brushing the other side with oil, and grill lightly.
- 7. Serve souvlaki on the skewer over bread with tzatziki on the side.