Bourbon Whiskey Lamb Meatballs Recipe
- Servings: 6-8
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
Made with grass-fed lamb, spices and whiskey, these meatballs make for a fun and flavorful appetizer. Or serve them with steamed rice and vegetables for dinner.
Tip: Scroll down to watch the recipe video.
For the Meatballs:
- 2 lb. New Zealand grass-fed ground lamb (Tip: Look for the Taste Pure Nature logo)
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Olive oil
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons red chili flakes
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- 1. In a large bowl mix together onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, rosemary, parsley, egg, smoked paprika, chili powder, kosher salt and ground lamb until well combined. Chill mixture in the fridge for 10-20 minutes.
- 2. Remove mixture from the fridge and divide mixture into 2-inch round meatballs, about the size of a golf ball.
- 3. Heat a large heavy bottom skillet over medium high heat and brush with olive oil. Brown meatballs in 2-3 batches until the outside is crusted and the meatball is firm, about 5-8 minutes. Note: The meatballs don’t need to be cooked through all the way, as they will continue to cook in the slow cooker. Transfer meatballs to a paper towel lined plate.
- 4. In a medium bowl whisk together the BBQ sauce, whiskey, brown sugar, red chili flakes and cayenne pepper.
- 5. Transfer meatballs and sauce to a slow cooker and gently combine. Cook on high for 1-2 hours or on low for 3-4 hours.
- 6. Top meatballs with freshly chopped parsley. Switch the slow cooker to warm and serve.