New Zealand Grass-fed Lamb Kofta Recipe
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
This lamb kofta from A Cozy Kitchen is made with grass-fed lamb from New Zealand, warm spices, sauteed onions, garlic and herbs, with a hit of nuttiness from toasted pine nuts. Lean protein paired with hummus, rice and a refreshing cucumber and tomato salad results in a well-balanced meal that you’ll revisit over and over again.
Tip: Serve up leftovers on a bed of lettuce with cucumbers, tomatoes and chickpeas for a light and refreshing lunch.
For the Kofta:
- 1 lb. New Zealand grass-fed ground lamb (Tip: Look for the Taste Pure Nature logo)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, for baking sheet
- Olive oil
- Prepared rice
- Cucumber and tomato salad
For the Kofta:
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2. In a medium skillet set over medium heat, add the pine nuts. Toast for about 2 to 3 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Transfer to a food processor and allow to cool.
- 3. In the same medium skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil and add the onion and smashed garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to the food processor, along with salt, cumin, paprika and coriander. Pulse until everything is minced into small bits.
- 4. Pour into a medium bowl. Add the lamb and finely minced Italian parsley. Gently mix until everything is combined. Brush a half baking sheet with a teaspoon of olive oil. Using a medium cookie scoop or spoon, add mounds of the lamb kofta to the baking sheet, placing them about 2-inches apart.
- 5. Transfer to the oven to bake for 10 minutes, until lightly golden brown on top and cooked throughout. Feel free to halve one lamb meatball to ensure doneness.
- 6. Serve with rice, hummus, cucumber and tomato salad and pita.