Spiced Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce Recipe
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
You’ll love this delicious spicy New Zealand grass-fed lamb meatballs recipe – just tone down the chili flakes if serving to young children.
For the Beef:
- 1 lb ground New Zealand grass-fed lamb (Tip: Look for the Taste Pure Nature logo)
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Large pinch dried chili flakes or powder (optional)
- 1 ½ cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Handful parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 14 oz cans chopped tomatoes
- Handful pitted black olives (optional)
- 12 oz tagliatelle (or other) pasta
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated Parmesan (or a cheese of your choice)
- 1. In a large bowl mix the ground New Zealand grass-fed lamb, half the garlic, lemon, chili (if using), breadcrumbs, parsley and yogurt. Season well with salt and pepper and roll into 20 walnut-sized balls.
- 2. Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick pan and cook the meatballs, shaking the pan regularly until the meatballs begin to brown. Remove the meatballs from the pan onto a plate.
- 3. In the same pan, add another tablespoon of oil and cook the onion and the rest of the garlic until softened. Add the tomatoes and cook until sauce has thickened.
- 4. Add the meatballs back into the pan, pour in 3.5 oz of water and cook gently for 10 minutes or so until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce is thick. Stir in the olives.
- 5. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain, add to the meatballs and mix gently.
- 6. Plate the cooked pasta and meatballs. Top with grated Parmesan or cheese of your choice.