Lamb Moussaka Recipe
- Servings: 6-8
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Rich in flavor, this Greek dish features layers of delicious grass-fed lamb and eggplant seasoned to perfection and topped with feta cheese. Best enjoyed fresh from the oven, this recipe is the ultimate comfort meal for a cool evening.
Tip: Scroll down to watch the recipe video.
- 2 lb. New Zealand grass-fed ground lamb (Tip: look for the Taste Pure Nature Logo)
- 2 eggplants, sliced into thin rounds
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- 2. Place the eggplant rounds on two foil-lined baking sheets. Evenly coat the eggplant rounds with olive oil. Bake for 25 minutes.
- 3. While the eggplant is cooking, add the diced onion to a large saucepan over medium heat and cook for 3 minutes. Add the ground lamb to the saucepan and mix well.
- 4. Once meat starts to brown, add the cumin, nutmeg, paprika, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- 5. Add the crushed tomatoes and stir well. Add the minced garlic.
- 6. Remove the baked eggplant rounds from the oven. Leave the oven at 350° F.
- 7. Line a 9x13 baking dish with a layer of the baked eggplant rounds. Add about half of the lamb mixture over the eggplant and spread out evenly. Place another layer of baked eggplant rounds on top of the lamb mixture and top with the remaining lamb mixture.
- 8. In another large pan, melt the butter. Once melted, add the flour, whisking continuously until smooth. Add milk to the pan and bring to a simmer. Cook until the sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- 9. Pour the sauce over the lamb and sprinkle feta cheese on top. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- 10. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.