New Zealand Grass-fed Beef Ragout on Pappardelle Recipe
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
Revive your taste buds with this easy-to-prepare New Zealand grass-fed beef ragout. Just combine all ingredients in a casserole dish and let the oven take care of the rest.
For the Beef:
- 1.25 lbs. New Zealand grass-fed beef chuck steak (Tip: Look for the Taste Pure Nature logo)
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 cup red wine, optional
- 1 cup beef stock, or 2 cups if not using red wine
- Bouquet garni (1 bay leaf, 2-3 sprigs thyme and 1-2 parsley stalks tied together with kitchen string for ease of removal)
- Strip of pared orange rind
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooked pappardelle
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves, roughly chopped
For the beef:
- 1. Preheat the oven to 340°F.
- 2. Cut the beef into 1-inch pieces and roll in the seasoned flour.
- 3. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then add the beef in batches and brown on both sides. Transfer to a casserole dish as you go.
- 4. Add oil into the pan and add the onion and carrot. Cook until the vegetables are lightly golden. Pour in the red wine and allow to bubble up, scraping the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the beef stock, bouquet garni and orange rind. Bring just up to a boil, then pour over the beef in the casserole dish. The liquid should just cover the beef.
- 5. Cover the beef with a piece of baking paper cut to fit and the casserole dish lid. Place in the oven and cook for 2-2 ½ hours or until the beef is tender.
- 6. Serve with cooked pappardelle and sprinkle with the thyme leaves.