Short Rib Stroganoff Recipe
- Servings: 6-8
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours 4 minutes
If you’re looking for a cozy, comforting dish, look no further than this short rib stroganoff recipe created by feedfeed. This stroganoff features braised grass-fed beef short ribs and a creamy sauce of onions and garlic over egg noodles for an elevated version of a classic recipe.
- 3 lb. New Zealand grass-fed beef boneless short ribs, fat trimmed, cut into 2-3-inch pieces (Tip: Look for the Taste Pure Nature Logo)
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, or any neutral oil
- 1 lb. cremini mushrooms, ends trimmed and sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced in half moons
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vegemite
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 16 oz package extra wide egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
To Serve (Optional):
- Sour cream
- Parsley, chopped
- 1. Season short ribs generously with kosher salt.
- 2. In a large Dutch oven on medium heat, add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add 4-5 short ribs, and sear 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on all sides. Remove ribs from the Dutch oven onto a plate and repeat with remaining short ribs, cooking in batches of 4-5, until all are seared off.
- 3. In the same Dutch oven, add the onions and mushrooms to the rendered beef fat, stirring until all of the vegetables are evenly coated. Cook 6-8 minutes or until some of the liquid has released from the mushrooms and the onions are slightly translucent. Add the garlic and stir, cooking 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- 4. Sprinkle the flour and paprika over the vegetable mixture and stir to combine, until white streaks are no longer visible. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often, then add the beef stock, Dijon and Vegemite. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- 5. Once simmering, add the short ribs and juices back in and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook on a low simmer 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until the short ribs are fork tender and the sauce has been reduced to a thick gravy. Stir the mixture every 30 minutes or so, to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.
- 6. Once the sauce has thickened and the meat is tender, bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with salt. Cook egg noodles according to the package directions. Drain the noodles, then add them back to the same pot and fold in 2 tablespoons of butter.
- 7. Remove the short ribs from the heat and add in vinegar and sour cream. Stir to combine.
- 8. To serve, add the egg noodles to a large platter and spoon the stroganoff over the top. Garnish with additional sour cream, paprika and parsley, if desired.